Friday, November 7, 2014

review || CHARMING THE BEAST

I never got into the Twilight fandom. My first brush with YA-turned-grade-A-movies was Hunger Games. I could imagine those books a heck of a lot better than the whole vampire/werewolf/mere mortal thing.

When CHARMING THE BEAST first popped up on NetGalley, I very deliberately passed on it. Like I said... I don't do vampires and werewolves. 

But I like Cynthia Eden (oh, look... another review I forgot to put up here... MINE TO HAVE. And here I go, started yet another draft so I can share my thoughts on that book, which I finished by 9/17....). And every time I'd open Facebook, another author I follow would add a recommendation to read CHARMING THE BEAST... 

...so I decided to go for it.

You know... I really shouldn't be surprised I liked it.














Charming the Beast by Cynthia Eden

Publisher: Hocus Pocus Publishing, LLC (10/23/2014)
Series: Purgatory, book 3
Genre: Paranormal Romance
Source: NetGalley
Buy It For Your Kindle | Nook || Goodreads
My Rating: 


He’s a man with a beast inside… 

Connor Marrok never intended to work for the Seattle Para Unit. He’s not one of the good guys—he’s a real monster, and the beast he carries doesn’t exactly play nicely. But now he finds himself being blackmailed into a new assignment. It’s supposed to be his last gig. His mission? Protect the beautiful Chloe Quick. Keep her alive. Destroy her enemies. Easy enough…until he starts to fall for Chloe. 

She just wants to escape. 

Chloe is tired of being a prisoner. She wants to get away from her Para Unit guard and run fast into the night. So what if Connor is the sexiest guy she’s ever met? Chloe knows trouble when she sees it, and Connor is one big, dangerous package of trouble. But, when an obsessed werewolf begins stalking Chloe, she realizes that her paranormal bodyguard may just be the one man she needs the most. 

Their attraction is primal. 

Every moment that Chloe and Connor spend together increases their attraction. Chloe has never felt a need so strong or a desire so dark. The beast that Chloe carries inside has always been silent, but Connor is stirring up her animal instincts. And as the danger and desire begin to twist together, Chloe wonders just how far she’d be willing to go…in order to spend one more night in Connor’s arms.



- - -

Connect with Cynthia || goodreads | twitter | website

- - -

Connor and Chloe's relationship is that of jailer and captor...

At least that's how Chloe sees it.

When she runs from her prison, she expects for him to find her -- and he does -- as much as she just wants to get away.
'A hard hand grabbed Chloe. She was yanked into the darkness. Pulled against a strong, muscled male body.
'"This is what happens," Connor Marrok told her, his voice a low, lethal whisper in her ear, "when you run from me. I have to deal with stupid shit like that fool out there."
'Her breath heaved from her lungs as relief swept through her. Connor wasn't there to kill her--he was the white knight. Well, a very, very tarnished white knight.'
Chloe's father has made her into something she doesn't want to be -- a prime piece for mating. As Connor describes it, her scent is that of strawberries and sex, and as such, she attracts other wolves from miles around.

Chloe fears that Connor's attraction to her was due to this scent, and now that he's 'marked' her as his... She's afraid that whatever emotion she starts feeling for him will never be truly returned.

However, Connor is a bit of a hybrid, being both part wolf and vampire -- therefore, her scent doesn't affect him. His feelings for her are true and full, and when said feelings are tested, he nearly crumbles.

I'm afraid that if I go much deeper into this review, this review will become a complete spoiler post, so I'm going to have to keep this at what it is.

Just know -- I loved this book. I will revisit this book. I've also purchased book one, and have book two on my to-purchase queue -- even though it might be a bit before that happens.

But Chloe and Connor? Thank you for bringing me into the paranormal romance world and allowing me to love it so much..!!

No comments:

Post a Comment